Why I like Paris

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Always be Real (Not Just Relevent)-Planning assignment group 3

Chapter4-This Chapter explains the diffrence between "real" and "relevent". Why the yellow color? Why not
Blue or better yet my favorite color, RED!!! Does changing a color or font get   attention?  In this chapter we address this question. As a future social studies teacher I need to simplify my lessons. There is nothing worse than having students yawning, falling asleep, totally lost in another world as the instructor is trying to teach. Using our imagination to make what we teach become more interesting to our students is what this chapter is all about. We had some examples on our power point as we progressed with our presentation. I briefly explained what a Gallery Walk was and how we can implement it in pedagogy. I opened up classroom discussion by stating I had the good fortune of visiting a Montressori school in El Paso Texas where I was permitted to view the Gallery Walk in the lessons. Here is what I observed:
1) The teacher placed paper images throughout the room of various objects that the children (2nd graders) were familiar with, Fishies, Dinosaurs, bugs and flowers.
2)The teacher had them rotate throughout the room going from station to station where each image was .They were each asked to identify which of the images they would like to be and why?
3) Next they got on internet and researched information on that image. They were taught to create a WiKi and post there observations and share with their peers.
In the next presentation, we talked about "Planning". What I found helpful and something to implement in my future lessons is the restructuring of Guiding questions. It is important to have students come up with their own conclussions while doing research rather than listen to a boring lecture. We as instructors and educators need to keep this in mind. This is what I consider part of "Partnering". As unorthodox as my blog may seem, I have chosen not to show or post a video because to me this is not really speaking from the heart. I feel its something that everyone is doing and I try not to be part of the staus quo but rather something I know I will be doing in my classroom. The wheres and hows can be obtained from my fellow group members. e also touched up on the area of socratic questioning. In this case, I as the teacher will pose  questions that are more meaningful than those usually posed by the novice instructor or by those who speak without realizing if the students are making a connection with what the teacher is saying. Socratic questions allow the student to "probe" and form an "educated guess" if anything else. This is what I learned from our group presentation.Now to touch up more on how I will be using this method in my lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment